Cosmological Time Scale 2
⇐ Use this menu to view and help create subtitles for this video in many different languages. You'll probably want to hide YouTube's captions if using these subtitles.
- In the last video we tried to relate what 13.7 billion years really means
- by compressing it to ten years, which is still a pretty long time, at least from our perspective.
- And we saw that these huge periods of time, everything that's happened
- since the United States Declaration of Independence
- all gets compressed into just five seconds!
- And that's, you know, that's not much when you think about ten years. I mean ten years!
- You would wait around a lot, that's a huge amount of time.
- So hopefully that put things in perspective a little bit.
- What I want to do in this video is kind of do the same thing but
- relate the 13.7 billion years if that were a distance
- or the length of a timeline how big each of these periods would be.
- So just to start off, if the timeline...
- I'm recording this in High Definition right now.
- There should be 1280 pixels wide, depending on where you're watching it,
- so maybe you're watching it on a High-Def TV.
- If the timeline was the width of my screen right over here
- If the timeline was the width of my screen here
- So if that was 13.7 billion years from there
- let's say this is the beginning of the universe
- and this is our present time
- If that was 13.7 billion years the amount of time that humans, modern humans,
- the people who look and think like us
- the amount of time that we have been on this planet
- will not even be a pixel
- This little dot I drew is multiple pixels.
- The amount of time we have been here would not even be a pixel
- In fact a pixal, and that dot I drew is about four pixals, But a pixel
- just one little pixal on my screen
- would represent eleven million years.
- Let me scroll over
- It would represent eleven million, eleven million years.
- So if this was the timeline the dinosaurs would have been extinct
- about six pixels from the end.
- So it would be right about...
- So six pixels from the end is when the dinosaurs would have gotten extinct and
- the amount of time that modern humans are on the planet
- wouldn't even register here.
- It would be one twentieth of that pixel over there.
- In fact if we just expanded that very last pixel...
- If we were to expand that very last pixel, I'll do it in yellow,
- the very last tiny pixel that you can't see if we were to expand that
要常常來找我玩喔！(1/3) (2/3) (3/3)