⇐ Use this menu to view and help create subtitles for this video in many different languages. You'll probably want to hide YouTube's captions if using these subtitles.
- I want make a quick correction to the video on quasars.
- In that video I said and I mistakenly said that the quasars or that the accretion disk that's really forming
- or releasing the energy of the quasar, that its releasing energy predominately in the... the xray part of the electromagnetic spectrum.
- And that was incorrect. Most quasars are actually emitting electromagnetic radiation
- across the spectrum all the way from xrays... all the way from xrays as high frequency xrays all the way
- down to infrared. All the way down to infrared. And some quasars even release super high frequency gammarays
- and they will release low frequency electromagnetic waves all the way down to radio waves. So I just wanted
- to make that correction. Its not predominately in the x-ray part of the spectrum, its across the spectrum
- right over here. Its this entire range of the spectrum and sometimes even a wider range. Now the other
- thing I want to clarify is this is the range of the spectrum thats being emitted. But we have to remember
- that most or, actually all of these quasars are quite far away. The closest is 780 million light years away.
- And many of them are many many billions of light years away. And so they are moving away from us
- at a very fast speed, or... they are getting redshifted becuase the universe is expanding so fast relative
- to us at that point or that coordinate is moving so fast away from our coordinate. And so even though this is
- the spectrum that is beeing emitted its all going to be redshifted. Its all going to be redshifted
- down and so we are going to observe things at a much, at a much lower frequency-- maybe around the radio
- part of the frequency. So everything will be redshifted down. And thats why these were originally called
- Quasi stellar radio sources. Any hopefully that clears things up a little bit.